Monday, July 18, 2011

Vintage sundress Partly faded (What would you do?)



Hello you guys! I purchased a vintage sundress yesterday at a thrift store for $1.50. Now normally I would not purchase something with a big flaw but I just couldn't help it! I thought it was way too cute to leave behind. (Plus I love any Hawaii stuff) Trouble is 1/4 of the dress is faded. (Top straps and half of the boob area.) My idea was to get a navy blue dye and re-dye the dress. Now I know if I do that the red is gonna turn a different color.. do you think it will turn brown or purpley? *lol* Hopefully someone knows.
I really don't have another idea other than only dipping the top half in dye.. but I think that might look a little silly.. and we all know we don't wanna look silly!

The dress is 100% cotton so it shouldn't be a issue dyeing.

Below is the pic of one of the straps twisted MAJOR fading on outside nice and new inside *lol*


What would you do? And don't tell me "I wouldn't have bought it!" *hahah*



12 comments:

  1. It's fabulous and I'd have definately bought it. What a blinking bargain!
    Personally I'd wear it flaws and all and make out it was meant to look that way! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Either cut it up and make something like beach bag type thing or dye it, I would think the red will go a darkish purple/blue, but will look ok, :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if you redye it, the fade will look deliberate and cute - in fact I'd use a weak solution of dye or just 'freshen' it with dye to ensure that happened!

    ReplyDelete
  4. me? I dunno Id go with what the smart people above say lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gawd I love this dress and would wear it as-is for sure. Just wack on heaps of nutty plastic jewellery and it will look awesome with some mental shoes and a 1960s-style straw bag. Or, if you feel you can't live with the fade, maybe make it into a skirt? What a bargain! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wear as is. Who cares if it's faded? Start a new trend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unless it truly look weird when you have it on, I'd wear it as is. It looks super cute. Otherwise, maybe try a light dye and then the fade might look more deliberate? Very cute dress and I definitely would have bought it too. Big chunky jewelry would distract from it as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Everyone Alright ladies! I will try it today take pics and go from there! I am going to have some fun with this one.

    Thank you All for the advice, it's appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If it was mine i would wear it or make a bag out of it

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd wear it as is, or maybe try to colour it in with textas that don't run.xx.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with the style-mistresses above - wear it as is - it's lovely!

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have bought it to! I say wear as is it looks slightly ombre.

    ReplyDelete